What’s in a name? A lot of things…But your small business’ brand is not one of them. Your brand is not your name, or your product, or even your logo. It’s a common misconception that a small business logo or identity package is its brand. But small business branding is about much more than that.
“The difference between a name and a brand is that a name doesn’t have associations; it is simply a name. A name becomes a brand when people link it to other things.” – Timothy Calkins, Marketing Professor at Northwestern University.
Your brand is a great example of something that is greater than the sum of its parts. It can be thought of as the result of all the values and images that people associate with your company. It is made up of your name, your small business logo, the tone of your marketing copy, your small business website – everything that comes together to tell the world who you are, what you are about, and how stand apart from your competitors.
Want to learn more about branding a small business?
- In this infographic, find out how to start creating your company’s brand: 6 Steps To Successfully Branding Your Small Business.
- One of the most identifying features of your business is obviously your company’s name. Start with this infographic on How To Set Yourself Up For Success.
- It’s important to think about what sets your company apart from your competition. Learn about Finding Your Company’s Unique Selling Proposition.
- Learn about the process or creating a logo, best design practices, and different types of logos in Designing a Small Business Logo 101.
- Consistency in your tone of voice is key to a long-lasting relationship with your customers. Start by Finding Your Company’s Tone of Voice.
- Before you start communicating, it’s important to decide who you’re talking to. Identify Your Small Business’ Target Audience in 3 Steps.
- A slogan or a tagline can be a great way to convey your business advantage to your audience. Learn more about Branding Your Small Business with a Tagline.
- Once you’ve put in all the work to cultivate a fantastic brand for your small business, it’s important to protect it. Learn How To Protect Your Brand With a Trademark.
- Find out how when you interact with people every day you are Promoting Yourself & Your Business