Today’s post comes from Webs’ Lead Analyst, Alex Mitchell.
In the past year, you may have noticed that acquisitions by the Tech Giants have really picked up. These acquisitions by Apple, Amazon, Google, Yahoo, and Facebook are usually made for several key reasons: Talent, Technology, and/or Customers.
Facebook’s monumental acquisition of mobile-messaging service WhatsApp for $19B several weeks ago was primarily to acquire WhatApp’s user population of over 450 million. Even more incredible than this enormous user population is how rapidly the service has grown.
Given this record-breaking acquisition, we thought it was important to share just how popular WhatsApp and Mobile Messaging in general have become with 5 incredible facts.
1. Messaging App Usage Grew Over 200% Last Year
2. One out of Every Four Teens Worldwide is on WhatsApp
3. WhatsApp is Adding 1 Million Users Per Day
4. WhatsApp Will Reach 1 Billion Users by 2015
5. WhatsApp Users Send Over 50 Billion Messages and 500 Million Images per Day, 150 Million More Images than Facebook Users
Clearly, Mobile Messaging is growing incredibly fast, is popular with younger users, and has especially resonated with non-US users.
As a small business, one of the tools you can test to “plug-in” to this rapid growth is Snapchat. Check our my earlier post on how you can use this messaging service to engage younger customers in an attention grabbing way.