Anything you do for the first time can seem daunting. Especially when it’s outside your comfort zone. But, contrary to some popular myths out there, it doesn’t have to be that way when it comes to creating your website!
At Webs, we’ve been helping people get their personal, group, and small business websites off the ground for a long time now, and we’ve noticed some recurring themes when it comes to people’s objections and misconceptions about website building. In order to help get you over the hump and on the path to your new website, we’re addressing the top 10 below:
1. Starting a website is expensive: Nope! In fact, with a Webs website, you can build a free website that will look fantastic and serve you well for a long time. Looking for added functionality and professional features? You can add those as you go and select a package that fits your budget.
2. You have to get a domain, hosting, and web designer separately. Thank goodness, this is no longer the case. Not only was that model of website building costly, it could also be very confusing and hard to keep track of. These days, you have the option to get your domain, hosting, and a website builder with professional themes all in one place. (Hint: you’re already there)
3. Creating a website is a huge time commitment. False — you can create a website with Webs SiteBuilder3 in just 3 simple steps. Depending on how complex you want your site to be, and how much of your content you have prepared in advance, it can often be done in just 15 minutes.
4. You have to be a tech-savvy person to build your own website. Nope, as long as you have a basic understanding of how to use a computer and what a website should look like, the Webs SiteBuilder will lead you through the rest — start to finish
5. Websites need to provide a lot of information, text, and images. Websites can serve many purposes, whether you’re promoting your business, getting support for a non-profit, or simply sharing a blog about your travels. You can supply as much or a little as you want. You’d be surprised how many elements of your website you already have!
6. You need a professional web designer to create an attractive site. Thankfully, this is no longer true. Of course, web designers still have their place in the creation of certain kinds of sites with very custom or complex functionality. But you can still have a great-looking website that is customized to suit you or your business perfectly using themes (templates) designed by the professionals at Webs for you to make your own.
7. You need to buy expensive professional software programs to make a website. Modern technology has freed us from hard-to-use software that could only be used on the computer it was installed on. Now, you can have a website builder that’s kept on the web so you can get to it from anywhere.
8. Once you create a website, it’s difficult and expensive to make changes. Not at all — flexible templates and a builder that you can access anytime from any computer make it simple and free to make changes to your website.
9. You need to be able to write HTML or CSS code to build a website. If this were true, very few people would have websites! Thankfully, our talented engineers have done all the hard work for you already.
10. I don’t know where to start! Well, that’s a no-brainer. Get started today.
From our How To Make A Website series:
Dos and Don’ts of User-Friendly Website Navigation
How To Make A Website: Breaking Down The Pieces
Example Sites: Inspiration Edition
Prepare Yourself: What You Need to Start a Website
Checklist: 10 Steps to a Successful Business Website in 2013
Building a Website: Do It Yourself or Hire A Pro?
Creating Your Own Website: Top 10 Myths and Objections