What is a Facebook Like Box?
Essentially, it is a way to encourage Facebook users to like your page by showing them on your website who is already connected with you, and what kind of things you post. According to Facebook:
“The Like Box is a social plugin that enables Facebook Page owners to attract and gain Likes from their own website. The Like Box enables users to:
- See how many users already like this Page, and which of their friends like it
- Read recent posts from the Page
- Like the Page with one click, without needing to visit the Page”
Why should I add one to my website?
Facebook is all about connections and engagement. People are much more likely to like a page if they see that it’s popular — especially if they recognize their friends in the list of page fans. This gives your brand the kind of instant credibility that money can’t buy. It also allows people to engage with your Facebook page without ever leaving your website, so you’re less likely to lose a conversion to the Facebook vortex like you would if they had to click over to Facebook to become a fan.
How can I add a Like Box to my website?
There are a variety of methods for adding Like Boxes to websites, depending on what kind of site you have and where you created it. Most of them involve opening your site in an HTML editor and pasting in a snippet of code from Facebook’s developer resources.
If you created your website in Webs’ SiteBuilder3, it’s (thankfully) a much simpler process:
1. Log in to your account at Webs.com and select the website you want to edit
2. Click on the Builder button in the top right corner
3. At the bottom of the page, click over to the Social tab
4. From the social module options, drag the “FB Like Box” onto your page where you want it to be
5. Click the icon to edit, and enter your Facebook Page URL in the upper left
6. Adjust your box’s settings to suit your preferences
7. Publish and preview your site to make sure everything looks right
8. Be impressed with yourself