The “About Us” section of your website should provide in-depth information about yourself, the website creator, and the purpose of your small business (if applicable). According to SmashingMagazine.com, “the about me page is one of the most overlooked pages in development, but highest ranked page on many websites”.
Since this page gets so much online visibility, it is important to utilize it to its full potential. Let’s start by first identifying why a site visitor might come to your about us page:
* Curiosity about the website creator and/or the business
* Looking for key contact information
Thus, a good About Us page should clearly satisfy both of these needs in a useful and effortless manner. To help you get started in writing/ reviewing your “About Us” page, here is a small checklist of items that should be covered by this page:
* Your name and qualifications – Who are you? What qualifies you to run this website?
* Business Information – What does your website/small business offer?
* Unique selling proposition – How is your small business different from competition? Learn more about what is a unique selling proposition.
* Business history – How long have you been in the business? How did you get started? What drives your passion for the business?
* Contact information – Do you have a phone number customers can call? Store location? Do you have a map with easy directions to follow?
* Social media links – Link to your Facebook, Twitter, and other social pages
Think of the “About Us” page as your virtual business card. Your about information should be easy to find and should not be hidden. Providing key information elements will help website visitors to feel more confident about you and your business. It might make the difference between a sale and “just browsing”.