This week we are switching things up. Instead of showcasing and example site, we have decided to post a review of a website.
Last week we asked fans on our Facebook Fan page to submit their sites if they wanted some constructive feedback from the Webs team. We received an overwhelming number of comments and it was difficult to select a “winner”. This time the early bird got the worm and the site we choose to review was the first comment posted. Congratulations to www.mechanicsburgoh.com.
Overall, this is a very nice community site that is easy to browse and has a lot of good information posted. The template chosen works well for a community site, it is friendly and professional without being distracting.
Here are a few suggestions from Webs that will help to increase usability:
- Simplify Website Title — The main title of the website is currently posted as URL, it may be easier for users to quickly understand that this is a community site if you change from all caps to partial caps, such as MechanicsburgOH.com or perhaps even simplify the title further to Official Website of Mechanicsburg OH.
- Open Links in a New Window — The owner of the website utilizes the main content area on the home page well to announce upcoming events and current news items. One suggestion is to change the links of the news items that go to other sites to open in a new tab or window so that visitors aren’t taken off of their site.
- Streamline Website Navigation – The top-level navigation works well. However, we did notice that two areas have titles that are too long for the space allocated by the selected theme. The following changes would help:
- Under the Commerce Navigation – Change Career/Job Opportunities to Careers.
- Under the Government Navigation – Change Mechanicsburg Government to Mechanicsburg. Keep in mind that government is implied by the main tab title.
Overall, this is a well-made site that is well thought out and contains good content. Great job Kyle Anderson!
The overwhelming response of users that wanted to have their site reviewed by Webs team showed us that this is something we should bring to you on regular basis.
As a parting note, we would like to offer one more tip. A lot of users that requested to be reviewed didn’t have clearly posted website mission. There seemed to be no information on what their website was about?
Remember, you don’t have to be an online store or selling a service or even selling anything. However, even personal sites need a definition. Are you all about you, music, books, underwater basket weaving? The focus of your website should be clearly stated on your home page. Not only will this help visitors understand what your website offers, but it will also help search engines know how to send traffic your way. For example, http://www.sidstyleonline.co.nr/ says “Share Music, Take Lessons, Meet People, and Chat” this is a very clear statement about the site — nice job Sid!
Until next time,
Happy Site Building!