Holiday season is just around the corner, and now is the perfect time to start thinking about your website’s holiday promotion strategy. Why, you ask? Because the holiday season brings with it an increase in the number of online searches, website browsers and buyers.
“Ecommerce sales growth will be strong this holiday season as price-conscious consumers move more of their spending online to save money. Successful retailers will be those that can adjust their marketing efforts on the fly in response to changing market forces.”
To help you gain the most out of this holiday season, here are 5 tips to get your retail website ready for the coming holiday season:
- Put your best foot forward – Make sure the information posted on your website is up to date and clearly presents the most popular items you wish to promote. Don’t assume that potential browsers can find something on your website just because it is listed. For example, if you sell jewelry and you have a set that sells best and is popular this season, post a picture of it on your homepage with a link to the web store. Another way to highlight best sellers is by marking them as new or on sale in your web store:
- Clean up your clutter — Make it easy for potential buyers to find information they need by providing simple navigation paths. If you haven’t taken advantage of drop-down menus, now is the perfect time to think about which links on your website should be highlighted and which you can stack. For tips on how to improve your navigation bar use this link.
- Update your messaging and tone – Providing helpful tips about why someone should purchase your merchandise can help you close the deal. Remember, during the holiday season visitors are most likely shopping for someone else. So use their possible intent as a guideline for updating product information and explaining why the products you offer might be ideal for someone as a gift.
- Go social – Incorporating social channels, such as Facebook & Twitter, is not new news. However, often times retailers forget to promote their specials via social channels or even update these pages on a regular basis. According to an article posted in Bloomberg News: “holiday shopping season found that 16 percent of respondents purchased an additional product based on their Facebook friends “liking” or purchasing a product.” If you are running a special on your website, it is always a good idea to promote it through available social channels. Don’t forget to update your fans as quantities of products change or if you notice a new trend of hot items this holiday season.
- Mobile is the new social – Mobile shopping is the growing trend of how buyers are searching and acquiring new products. Oracle/ATG Mobile Trends study found that in December 2010, 29% of US shoppers made a purchase via mobile device, and a whopping 48% of consumers used their mobile devices to research and browse for desired products to purchase. Thus, making sure your mobile site matches your brand’s look and feel is now just as important to your holiday success as your regular website. Did you know that Webs makes it easy for you to create, customize and maintain your own mobile site? Learn more about Webs’ Mobile Website options.