Take a break from your tough Wednesday by taking a look at the awesome website we are showcasing on our example site blog post!
This week we are showcasing Halo: Next Generation, a community based website revolving around the Halo video games. We know that a site like this isn’t the typical site that we would showcase on Example Site Wednesday, but HNG has a very effective site that anybody can learn from. Take a look for yourself before we break down their site for you:
In addition to a well designed and organized site, HNG takes advantage of some very essential Webs features including:
- Members app to allow visitors to sign up as members to gain exclusive content.
- Calendar app to display important dates of holidays and events.
- Contact page to allow visitors a simple way to contact the site owner and to add credibility.
A common problem that we hear from a lot of site owners is: How to make site members more active?
We know that it is tough to convince your members to comment on your forums or comment on a blog post, especially since you don’t even know them.
A few tips you can use to encourage your members to be more active:
- Pick a Topic – As you can probably tell, HNG has a pretty substantial amount of members, and the forums seem very active. One of the secrets to HGN’s success is that they picked a topic that has a large following and an established community. This makes the process a whole lot easier since the community is already familiar with each other and has a common ground.
- Run Contests – Another key to HNG’s success is that they hold events that encourage all of their members to participate. Giving members a chance to grow through an activity is a very effective way to see increase in site activity. Although not every website will be able to hold video game tournaments online, be creative and maybe hold a picture competition with a small prize. Remember that you want to give your members a reason to be active on the site.
- Keep it Organized – One thing that HNG does that we haven’t seen on many other sites is that they have a page listing out their forum rules. We think that this is a great idea as it gives your forum more structure to make newer members more comfortable about posting. Remember that it is not enough to just create a forum and hope that members will automatically start talking. Many times you have to spur conversations yourself and get your members comfortable interacting with your site.
Congrats to HNG for their excellent work on their website. Did you like this week’s site? Do you want us to use your site in a future example site post? Leave a comment below and you will be considered for an upcoming post!
Until next time,
Happy site building!