Today, we are excited to announce the launch of drop-down menus on Webs.com sites!
This update has been requested by many users, and has been in the works for quite some time here at Webs. It’s a simple feature with huge implications; drop-down menus allow you to clean up the navigation bar on your website, better organizing your website and creating a more focused and guided experience for your site visitors.
See your website go from this:
To make this feature work, you will notice your Site Manager has received a little update. You can now reorder and create dropdowns, right from the Site Manager.
How does the new system work?
- Drag and drop pages up and down to change their ordering position
- Drag and drop pages to the right to nest the page as a drop-down selection. This will automatically move the page into a dropdown menu beneath the page it is listed under.
This new feature opens up a whole new way for you to build your site, and for your users to navigate your site. It’s simple to use, but makes a huge impact!
Need more help? Check out our how-to video.
A Few Useful Hints Towards a GREAT Navigation Bar.
Armed with this new tool in hand, here’s a few hints to making your site GREAT using dropdown navigation:
- If your site uses a horizontal navigation bar, make sure it does not go beyond ONE ROW of navigation items. Move pages into dropdowns to clean it up.
- In general, you should avoid having more than 10 pages as top level navigation links. Everything else should be set as a subpage.
- You can create new rich navigation by manually adding links to your site. Here’s how to manually add a link:Visit Site Manager -> Click “Add a New Page” -> Click “External Link” -> Type the link name and URL
- Got a Webstore? This a GREAT feature for you! Make your store even easier to browse by creating links to each of your store categories, then dragging those items as subpages under your Webstore page!
So those are just a few hints, but as always, we can’t wait to see the creative ways you make use of this new feature.
Please let us know what you think in the comments!
The Webs Team