First in the Fall line up is Rings. It’s in beta now with the URL provided at the end of this post. Yes, it’s a limited access beta this time. So, let’s talk Rings.
Why Rings? Site owners have asked how to connect to a friend’s site, how to connect with site owners around a shared topic, and how to generate more traffic to their site. Rings does all three.
What are Rings? Rings are communities of sites where site owners connect to share ideas and site traffic.
How Rings work. Each Ring has an owner, members, a Ring page, a Ring Badge, and a public Ring Page. Here’s a description of each and a link to a sample Ring I created called Templates.
- The Ring Owner creates and manages Ring membership and the Ring page. For the Templates Ring, that’s me.
- Members join the Ring via invitation or upon request. Each membership is approved by the owner.
- The Ring Page is where members of a Ring post comments and share news items. Here’s a link to the Templates Ring Page.
- The Ring Badge enables members to share traffic. Each member site displays the Ring Badge on their home page; the badge links the sites together. Visitors to a Rings site click on the badge to explore other sites in the Ring. The Ring Badge also links to a public Ring Page. Here’s a member site displaying the Ring Badge. Click on it to explore the member Rings sites.
- The Public Ring Page displays and links to all the member sites. Search engines crawl and categorize this page and people visiting this page can view all the sites in the Ring. Take a look at the Templates Ring Public Page.
How to access Rings. Go here to take a look. Explore to your hearts content and share your thoughts here. I’m looking for your input.
We’ll make changes and then release Rings to the larger Freewebs community.
Go make a Ring!
Update: Hello everyone, thanks for all the feedback! We are going to make some fixes and release the updates some time on Monday. In the mean time, we have pulled down the private beta. Have a great weekend!